- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Software
- Industry: Technology
- Post Date: 03/16/2023
- Website: opslevel.com
- Company Address: 111 Peter Street, Suite 700, , Toronto, ON M5V 2H1 Canada
- Salary Range: $50,000 - $150,000
About OpsLevelOpsLevel is the internal developer portal for teams to own, operate, and understand their production infrastructure.
We’ve validated a huge market and brought “you build it, you own it” service ownership and service maturity to the world with our microservice catalog. Teams and organizations now depend on OpsLevel to help discover, operate, and maintain hundreds of microservices easily and efficiently…but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. We’re on to the next big challenge, creating the developer portal. With a simplified workflow, developers and owners can go from idea to up and running with the click of a button. No more looking up stale configurations, pouring through documentation, or losing time in red tape.
We’re a well-funded remote-first startup founded in Toronto, Canada with people all over Canada and the US. Our team is led by alumni from success stories like Amazon, Shopify, and PagerDuty where they gained years of experience working with DevOps and dev tooling.
Our culture and values are very important and ground us in how we interact as one team:
Empathy - Think of others; think of your users
Growth Mindset - Get comfortable with being uncomfortable
Intellectual Honesty - The best solution is more important than anyone's ego
Focus & Efficiency - Keep the main thing the main thing
We believe in boring technology because it’s well tested and simple. Our current stack is:
• Ruby on Rails (our main application’s backend)
• Vue.js (our app’s UI)
• GraphQL (how the UI and the backend talk to each other; also used by customers as part of our platform)
• MySQL (gotta store those bits somewhere)
• Redis (some bits gotta be stored faster)
• Terraform (config as code, because any other way is painful)
• Kubernetes (we use AWS EKS)
• Golang (for various operational tools and our open source offerings)
What You'll Do
- Work with product, UX, and fellow developers to gain a deep understanding of customer problems and lead development of features to solve those problems
- Hold a high bar of personal technical excellence, demonstrated through high quality, thoroughly tested, and exemplary code contributions and reviews
- Contribute to our culture of “you build it, you own it” by listening to your spidey sense and identifying tech debt or other opportunities to improve our technical architecture
- Discover, propose, and evangelize the latest & best practices in Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, and database design
- Build private and public GraphQL API’s that power the OpsLevel front-end experience and CLI capabilities
- Lead technical explorations and create PoC prototypes to discover then build the best solution
- Execute projects in a timely manner, helping the team communicate when they are on or off track to meet goals
- Leverage your years of experience by being a mentor and investing in the growth and success of those around you
- Participate in our oncall schedule, where you may be required to troubleshoot across our core technical stack (Ruby on Rails, VueJS, GraphQL, and MySQL)
- An empathetic, pragmatic, and collaborative approach to problem solving. Done is better than perfect.
- A strong growth mindset. You’re comfortable learning new things quickly. Unknowns are new frontiers waiting to be discovered
- Experience designing architectures with strong interface boundaries and separation of concerns. Your craft is deeply rooted in SOLID design principles
- Thorough understanding of writing web applications with Rails. You probably have at least 5 years of experience with Rails or 7 years with a similar web framework (e.g., Spring, Django, Node.js)
- Experience designing performant data models with MySQL. You have strong opinions on how to structure data in an RDBMS. You know when and how to use indices and when to denormalize data. You have battle scars from debugging and fixing slow queries.
Nice to Haves
- Experience with modern cloud technologies such as AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, and Terraform
- An understanding of job systems for Ruby on Rails such as Sidekiq
- A deep understanding of MySQLHave experience in scaling a web application to thousands of users and millions of events
- Knowledge of in memory datastores like Redis
- You can empathize with companies that run 100’s of applications or microservices
We offer market-leading compensation, including equity, based on the skill set and aptitude of the candidate.
"Should I apply?" - Yes!
If you meet some or most of what we're looking for, we want to hear from you, and if you’re unsure - apply anyways!
What do I need to interview with OpsLevel?
Not much! A working web camera, microphone, and (ideally) a quiet place with minimal background noise.
We are building an inclusive and welcoming workplace where employees feel appreciated, valued and free to be who they are regardless of their gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, disability status, citizenship, or any other aspect which makes them unique.
OpsLevel is committed to developing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. If you require any accommodation, please let us know and we’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.